Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Monkeys, Motorcycles, Mountains and More!

So I have a few extra mins here on the computer and thought I'd give a brief synopsis of what's be going on since I left my village stay!

The first place (and where i wrote my last blog from) was Tamale in the North. I had a very amazing time there.  We met up with our fellow canadian firends Chelsea and Aryn and had ourselves a very merry Christmas.  We spent two days prior to christmas preparing for a giant meal piut on by Dr Abulai and the Shekina Clinic.  He is one of the most interesting people i have ever met!  I don't have enough time to discuss it here though!

So the day of the dinner, we served 3550!!! It went on all day.  It was truly a spectacular, albeit humbling day.  My main responsibility was to hand out second clothes.  As a sidenote, we helped prepare over 700kg of chicken, and served a bull, who incidently almost ran us over a few days prior as he got loose from his ropes (he flipped our bags far away, and let me tell you i have never run so fast!)

Since then, The group has split up for the rest of our travel time.  The first day, Jennifer, Hannah and I (along with Chelsea and Aryn) headed back to the south of the country.  We said our goodbyes to our friends and stayed the night in Nkawkaw with Father Andy (THE COOLEST MAN!), and played the bean game... (Very fun, I'll teach you when I get home).

We then left early in the AM to head to HoHoe.  After a brief lay over in Accra (and a stampede for the trotros...) we made it to HoHoe and our hotel for the eveneing.

The next day we hiked to Wli falls and I jumped in and went under the falls (and got a picture for sadie!).  These falls are boasted to be the Highest in West Africa (I can't upload photos and this cafe so you'll have to trust me, they were!).

AFter that we headed to Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary!!! IT WAS AWESOME! We fed the endangered Mona Monkeys BANANAS!  They ate right from our hand! It truly was an incredible moment!
Also, for the last little bit of the drive there are no trotros, so we had to jump on the back of motor cycle taxis! (DOn't worry mom, I wore a helmet.)

After that we ended our day in Ho.  A small city... this morning we got up and hiked Mount Adaku.  Our guide saw a snake, and he knew I didn't like them, so he didn't tell me until after w got down.... probably for the best.  I still haven't seen a snake!

Anyway, that's all for now.  Tomorrow we're off the Butre, on the ocean with a brief stopover in Cape Coast to see the slave castles.  Should be incredible. 

I've also gotten in touch with my work placement and they are anxiously awaiting my arrival, which is very good to know!! It's a big weight off my shoulders.  So after Butre, we go to Kumasi to meet up with the group one last time, then off to Cape coast for me for the duration of work placements (2 months)!

I miss you all very much, and as I sit here typing, I realized that I miss egg nog alot... a strange thing to miss!

Love ya all!
Have a safe and Happy New years!

Matty

No comments:

Post a Comment