Tuesday, February 22, 2011

529 years of history...

Hello Hello!

So another week has gone by, and more and more adventures!  The highlight of the past while was definetly Jennifer and Hannah coming to visit over the weekend.  It was so nice to see my group mates and introduce them to my life here in Cape Coast.

We ventured to Elmina Castle for the afternoon on Saturday, a UNESCO world heritage site.  It was a very powerful afternoon to say the least.  Elmina Castle is the oldest Slave Trade castle in the world and the largest.  It was built 529 years ago by Portugal, then taken over by the Dutch, then traded with the Birtish and evenutally was given over to Ghana at the time of thier independence in 1957.  It began as a trading post in African goods for European goods, until it inevitably began trading in humans.  This trade in human lives continued until 1814. 

It is pretty powerful to stand in the 'room of no return' where slaves were sent just prior to getting on the ships.  Equally as powerful to stand in the jail cell (with skull and cross bones above it) that once someone entered, they never left.  They were starved to death.

Over 1000 people were kept at a time in the Castle.  Only 25% made it across the sea.  And to think this only ended 200 years ago.

The rest of the weekend was great, hanging out with the girls and mingling with my new friends here.

So the increase in fuel prices' ripple effect has now begun to be seen (other than the obvious increase in taxi prices).  Pure water satchets have doubled in price now from 5p to 10p.  I have yet to see an increase in food, but i'm sure its not far off.

I think that's about it for now.  I have just over 3 weeks left here in Cape Coast, which saddens me because I really love it here.  Though it will be so nice to see my village family again and to see Uncle Andy and Obed as well as finally pick up my mail, and see the group!

I know that I'm home soon, but I don't wanna count the number of days! So I will see you soon!

Peace and Love!

Matty

PS  Check out new photos of Football and Elmina Castle and Work Stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment