Monday, March 14, 2011

55,749 Furlongs to go!

My oh my does time fly!  As I sit here I have only 16 days left in Ghana.... and only 2 more days of work placement.  And now the time that is the hardest for me... The Goodbyes. 

I love Cape Coast so much and all the wonderful people I've met here, so it will be very hard to leave them on Thursday.  I had my work party yesterday and my lovely boss, Auntie Baaba, made me my three favourites... Wakye, Fried Plantain and Ground nut soup with rice balls.  As well as octopus, fish, salad and rice.  I ate like a king.  They then gave me some very sweet and amazing gifts! I will truly miss them all.

On Thursday I head to Kumasi to meet up with my group, whom I miss very much! It will be great to catch up with them after having this solo experience for the last 2 months.  Together we will rest and reflect for the weekend in Kumasi, then hopefully a visit to Kuapa Koko (a fair trae cocoa co-op).  Then it's back to Nkawkaw and Tweapease to see the fathers and my village family, which entails equally hard goodbyes. 

I guess everywhere you go in the world, you're bound to miss somebody.  (I miss everyone from home so much!)

This may be my last blog entry before arriving home in Canada!! Hard to believe that 5 months have gone by so fast.  As much as I'm dreading leaving, I am equally looking forward to being home and catching the tail end of Winter.  Then I've got bigs plans afterwards, that will see me continue to work with Ghanaian youth in BC!

I have to keep this short because there was a huge electrical problem yesterday and they are shutting the power of from 10-5 today, and it's 9:42, and I've still got a few things I need to get done!

See you VERY SOON!!!! Love ya all!

Matty

PS You may be wondering what a furlong is... well it's an old english unit of measure that equals just over 200 metres.  The 55, 749 furlongs refers to our flight to amsterdam, then toronto... Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment