Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Obruni Canadianis

Obruni Canadianis -  A rare species from the western hemisphere that stands out like a sore thumb in Ghana. 
 "Watch as the obruni canadianis watches a goat cross the road and almost get hit by a car... see how they react in terror" (That needs to be read with an english accent, as if by David Attenborugh).

Obruni means "white man" and e hear it shouted everywhere... so we shout back Obibini... which means black man...  And people laugh.  Something you don't see in Canada!

So where to begin??? So much has happend over the past little while that I think I'll just start rambling.

I'm now living in the village away from my group mates (or sisters as we tell everyone because "friends" can mean something more).  I'm having a great time with my family.  I live in a little twon of 2000 called Tweapease (Tway-Ah-Pay-Ass-see).  My family is very welcoming... there's Mr Nartey, Mrs Nartey and Pricilla (13) and Prince (22 - but he has gone back to school... me and him are bff's).  Also there is Denzel (3)... he's still afraid of me but I got a smile out of him the other day.... this is understandable because I am the first white person he has ever seen.

I'm learning quite a bit being here.  My village "parents" are both teachers, so that leaves me a lot of time on my own during the day (I read alot, and the down time is definetly welcomed).  I also get to go and help out on the farm... so I've helped with getting cocoa buds off trees, harvesting plantains, peppers and contomore (like spinach, but way bigger).   I also farmed cassava, which was suprisingly easy to uproot.

The food is amazing!!! And all of us are now debating whose Banku/Fufu is best.  I swear my village mom makes the best banku.

We're still in the rainy season which means storms everyday!  It's very welcomed, as it cools down the day... it's consistently 30+ degrees...  (although, when a couple of my "sisters" were sick, the families swear it's because the cold!)... Anyway, the point of this is there are wicked lighting storms far off at night, and it reminds me of Arizona when we're were 15 at tracy's house sitting out back with you Dad.

My village is of of the 3 that has power.  I live in a pretty nice place (I'll try to upload some photos) and I have a guest house all to myself.  At first, I felt this may not be along the program goals and my personal goals, but the more I really look into, the more I see that this is poverty.  I won't get in to the details now.

I've made a lot of observations that I wanted to write about but alas, I wrote them in my journal and have forgotten it back at the house.  So I need to return to the internet before I head back to the village later on this week and will write more then.

The important thing to know is I'm very happy, having a great time and learning alot. I'm so very lucky to have this wonderful opportunity.

I tried to upload pics and it didn't work!  So check facebook, I'll get them up there.

Cheers Everyone! I hope Canada is well and not too cold yet. I'll check back in a few days!

Matty

No comments:

Post a Comment