Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kids will be Kids... will be kids.

The adventure continues as we headed Northish on a trotro to the city of Nkawkaw (pop 90000).  The trotro ride was a long (yet surprisingly comforatble) 3:30 hours.  We arrived and were picked up by monseigneur Paul, our host.  Nkawkaw is a welcomed change of pace form the hustle and bustle of Accra... though it is still busy, people are less in your your face.  

We're staying in the guest of the local Church, and me being the only male has been given a private room.  It's nice to have my own space - my own little getaway. 

We've met some incredicly interesteing people!!! Auntie Agi works with the fathers at the mission house and has been cooking us fantastic meals (and' we've gotten the chance to help everyday)... I have much much much more appreciation for the work the goes into preparing something as simple as fufu... lots of pounding the plaintain into dough.  A lot of hard work that I found tough.

I'm not really sure what to say so this entry will be scrambeled.  I'm just going to let my thoughts flow out...

I finally got a picture of a lizard... in fact was has become my roomate.  He moved into the my bathroom... he's just very small maybe 3 inches long, and lives in a crack in the tile of my tub... I've named him Ned.  Also, I've adpated qute well to "showering" with a bucket! It's pretty easy... and it's very refreshing with the heat being so hot.  Speaking of weather, we haven't gone a day here withough rain and lightning... but it passes very quickly.  

We have also started our language lessons in Twi.  So far so good, and I am able to hold (simple) conversations with people I run into on the street.  Oh people are still calling us Obruni, which is kinda endearing.  The kids especially.

Speaking of kids, you may be curious about the title of this blog.  After being here for just a brief time, I've realized something... one of life's infallable truths... wherever you are, kids are kids.  We are surrounded by their curiosity everyday, and they love to come a see us.  The other day, we showed them a "high five"... it started with one kid, then two, and before we knew, there was a line up of thirty circling around us getting high fives over and over again.  It made me smile.

Everyone we've met is great!  I've mentioned auntie Agi, there's also Samuel Kofi Ampon, who helps with chores and is teaching me how to speak some Twi (as well as how to handwash laundry!)... then there is Kwasi Obed... one of the cutest kids I have ever met!! he's 13 and is so smart and interesting.  The Fathers are great too! They are helping us along with all our needs.  Also, there is Stephen... I like him very much! He is what I would equate to a custodian in Canada for the Mission house... I had a photo taken with him and we he grabbed my hand (which is a sign of friendship in ghana, good friends walk around holding hands).  it was very touching!

Well I only have thirteen minutes left and I want to upload some photos so I will say Akyre (See you later).  The next blog won't be until half way through my village stay so check in then!

Oh yeah! How could I forget about church! We went to church on Sunday, and me not being very religious, was a little apprehensive...  however, it was so much fun!!! People were dancing and singing and clapping and having a great time! Then they introduced the 6 of us to the entire congregration (we had to stand up in front) ---- 300-400 people!

That's it for now!!!

Cheers,

Matty

PS Well looks like I can't upload any photos... check out facebook under Nkawkaw! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Love following your blog, Matt! Such a great adventure you're on. I can totally picture you giving high fives to 30 kids over and over again!! Also, your lizard story kind of reminds me of when we all had to try catching that mouse in the Bridgewater Katimavik house!! Also, I'm seriously considering taking part in the OneWorld Mexico program.

    Best wishes,
    Meaghan

    ReplyDelete